Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Mona Lisa, not sure about the smile

The Louvre, the most famous of museums. The big, glass pyramid attracts millions of tourists each year, and honestly I could have done without it.
Don't get me wrong, it is amazing. There are literally thousand of pieces of artwork, I was even looking at sculptures created in the 1600's.
But therein lies the problem - there's too much, it's too big.
By the time you have qued up for half an hour to get through security, made your way through the tourists to buy your ticket and started looking at the sculptures, you're exhausted.
I mean I can't really complain, I was in Paris, and I got to see the Mona Lisa, Venus de Milo and Ramesses up close.
But after a couple of hours in there, I just wanted to get away from the tourists.
So I braved the heat and strolled back to the apartment.
An afternoon of reading, drinking cold water, letting my hair dry on the balcony and treating myself to a pastry from the Patisserie downstairs was just the kind of recovery I needed.

The next day was cooler, so I hopped on the metro to see the Arc De Triomphe, the Champs Elysees and the Eiffel Tower.
The first time I went to Paris, Ali and I agreed that it was over-rated. I still agree, but only for the touristy areas. I didn't come to Paris to be surrounded by loud, rude Americans. I much preferred walking around the streets near our apartment and having the biggest salad of my life at a restaurant where they couldn't speak english.


But, that's over now. I am in Kent, at a house that feels like home. I think I'll spend a couple of weeks here just chilling out and enjoying the company of my family, I'm in no hurry to leave.

I would add a photo of the day, but blogger isn't letting me upload them, damn him.

No comments:

Post a Comment